Detoxes are popular, that is why you can read and hear a lot about the subject. You are preoccupied with your health and would like to know more on this. Sometimes presented as a magic solution to keep fit and healthy, let’s see together if it’s worth it.
What is a detox diet?
The purpose of a detox is to follow a special diet to help your body eliminating toxins. Your liver, kidneys, lungs and skin are doing a job of detoxifying but they sometimes need to be helped. It can also be seen as a way to loose weight.
How to « detox » your body?
You can do it in many differents ways :
- herbal teas, herbal food supplements (black radish, artichoke, meadowsweet)
- only fruit/ vegetables (apple, cherry, beetroot, asparagus, cabbage)
- by limiting or avoiding saturated fats and sugar, coffee, alcohol
- by adopting a fiber-rich diet
- by adopting a lactofermentation diet (kefir, yoghurt, cabbage, green beas)
« Detox » diet are usually made for short-use (1 to 14 days) but can last four weeks.
There is no medical research showing an improvent on your body after a cleanse diet. If you loose weight, you will gain weight again as soon as you stop the diet.
If you have a good day- to -day diet there is no reason to do a « detox ». Your body is able to perfectly eliminate toxins. If you eat to much during one or two days, just reduce your food for the following days and if you indulge yourself once in a while with your favorite cake, it really doest matter.
Don’ t forget : always consult your doctor before starting a « detox »